We would like to place on this page, every week, sermons from churches in South Africa.
Please send us your sermon, in English or Afrikaans. It may touch someone's life!
You can E-mail us the text or attach a MSWord (.doc) file. Please do it now!
by Mandy Bronkhorst -
Adonai Ministries International
GODLY CHARACTER AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- Every human being is created in Christ Jesus to do good works and be fashioned by His workmanship to have a character of his own, to be what no others are and to do what no other can do (Eph 2:10).
- To reach the full potential of our character we must understand that it's not inherited but built day-by-day by the way we think and act - it's a line upon line and a precept upon a precept (Is 28:10).
- The fundamental building blocks of godly character are birthed out of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a submission of the will to live according to His Word and commandments. He will lead us into all truth and the truth will build your character and set you free (John 8: 31-32). So the two essential ingredients for character building are mental attitude and the way we spend our time.
- It is impossible to develop Christian character on your birthday or on New Year. The workshop of Christian character is everyday life and it is here where we lose or win the battle of accountability before God (Prov 4:27). Character is built out of circumstances. From exactly the same materials one man builds a palace while another builds a hovel. However, where a heart is submitted to God, the character will be Godly because we are fellow workers with God, and we are His field and His building (1Cor 3:9).
- Character building is a lifelong process (Prov 20:11) and it's the only thing that's truly great in a man (Ps 37:16). Unfortunately, most of us believe we have 3 characters - the one we exhibit, the one we have and the one we think we have. The one that God weighs up is the one we really have and it's the only one that ultimately counts
B. The mechanics of Godly character
- In the development of Godly character, it is more important to know where you're going than to see how fast you can get there because zeal without wisdom can cause you to lose God's way and His best for you (Prov 19:2).
- We are often more concerned about our reputation which is what men think of us, than of Godly character, which is what God knows of us. So we need to let God be the builder and the judge, for He looks on the heart, on the real character (1 Sam 16:7).
- God will ensure that your character is made by what you stand for and remove your desire for reputation that is made by what you fall for. God will always give prudence and wisdom to His people (Prov 13:16).
- Money has never been known to produce character. It does not profit any man to gain the world but to lose his soul (Mk 8:36). However, a man's treatment of money is probably the most decisive test of his character - how he makes it and how he spends it. The man of true Godly character need not account for the money entrusted to him because he acts faithfully to God (2 Kings 22:7).
- Every man is the architect of his own character in that he has the choice to co-operate with God or not. Godly character is built on receiving the ways of God revealed in His Word and on building your life on the Rock of Jesus Christ (Matt 1:24) as your example. The trials of life will test every man's character and either grinds the ungodly man down or polishes the godly man up because he perseveres under trial (James 1:12).
- Moral excellence is the DNA of Godly character and it is produced only by a life that is totally committed to seeking, pursuing and demonstrating it. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts and brave by doing brave acts
- Your heart is the seat of your character and it is your own heart, not the opinions of others, that will form your true honour and be the vessel of your accountability before God (1 Chr 28:9). Essentially, your character will be what you are in the dark for even there, Godly character dawns on the upright (Ps 112:4).
- Godly character is fully realized by the fruit of deeds. We cannot just speak or read "godliness", but we must manifest it in deed. It is an act of love not only to speak godliness, but to do it (1 Jhn 3:18). Simply put, men may doubt your godly character because of what you say, but they will never doubt it if you say and do it.
C. The conclusion of Godly character
- The Lord will complete the work of molding a Godly character in you, which He has begun (Phil 1:6). We will never wander from Christ while Godly character is the end aim of our intellectual discipline and we will never misconceive Godly character while we hold fast to Christ and keep Him first in our motto and hearts.
- At the end of your life your character, not your possessions, will remain forever as a testimony (Matt 6:20) so build it while you can remembering that if your absence doesn't make a difference, your presence won't either (Matt 5:13) because you are the salt of the earth.
- You are called in this life to present yourselves as holy, acceptable and living sacrifices to God (Ro 12:1) so make it your business not to remain yourself, but make the absolute best of what God has made in and through you.
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. Practice the law of the harvest: reap more than you sow. Sow an act and reap a habit, sow a habit and reap a character, sow a character and reap your destiny. This is your high calling to press on towards in Christ Jesus (Phil 3:14).
deur Ds. HERMAN GROBLER - NG Kerk
Om te wreek is dierlik
Om te vergeld is menslik
Om te vergewe is goddelik.
Kain was afgunstig op sy broer Abel. Hy was kwaad omdat God Abel se offer aangeneem het. Moontlik het God dit ook beantwoord met 'n seën. Ek weet nie, maar afguns oor God se seën van andere is vandag nog 'n groot gevaar vir elkeen. Kain se afguns op Abel het tot wraak gelei, en hy het die eerste moord gepleeg. Ons wil wraak neem wanneer ons aanhou broei oor 'n onreg sodat dit later ons hele gedagtegang oorneem Daarom waarsku die Woord: "Sorg dat daar nie verbittering soos 'n wortel uitspruit, moeilikheid veroorsaak en baie besmet nie."
"'n Oog vir 'n oog en 'n tand vir 'n tand" is die heidense metode van oplossing van geskille. Wat gebeur met vergelding? Die aanvanklike verontregte daal daardeur net tot dieselfde vlak as die een wat hom verontreg het. Daar vind nie groei in die sondaar nie, en die verontregte self versleg. God weet dat ons maklik die reg in eie hand wil neem Daarom waarsku Hy: "Dit is my reg om te straf; Ék sal vergeld," sê die Here."
"Vader vergeef hulle want hulle weet nie wat hulle doen nie." Hierdie gebed is seker die moeilikste gebed om te bid. "Ek spreek jou vry. Ek vergewe jou en ek sal dit nooit weer ophaal nie. Ek sal ook aan niemand vertel wat ek jou moes vergewe nie." Het jy al in jou hart bereken wat dit kos om regtig te vergewe? Is jy bereid om soos Jesus te vergewe? Wees verseker, dit stel nie net die ander vry nie, maar bring ook heling in jou eie hart vir die onreg jou aangedoen! Die Woord gee aan ons die versekering: "As julle ander mense hulle oortredings vergewe, sal julle hemelse Vader julle ook vergewe."